Too Blessed to be Stressed
It’s been almost three months to the day since I last posted an update (not counting the squirrel diner since it wasn’t really an update). I cannot believe what a terrible blogger I have been, although I’ve always understood that I’m not much of a blogger anyway. I blog purely to keep those family and friends who live far away update on my life. However, I have also made some great bloggy friends along the way — and I miss you guys!! I apologize for not being more active lately.
What has happened since I last posted? Well…. let’s see…..
- After my long term substitute position came to an end, I was hired as a Teacher Support Assistant. Essentially, I was doing the same interventions and providing the same support. The position was one the school needed filled and I was more than happy to accept it, even though I was being paid significantly less. I love the school and the staff there!
- In April, I also applied for a summer school teaching position, and got it!!
- In May we went to 3 concerts in one week — Papa Roach, Limp Bizkit, and Relient K. They were all awesome!!! Papa Roach was amazing — Limp Bizkit was everything I hoped it would be and more!! Relient K (with William Beckett from the Academy Is) was great too, different, but great! (Photos at the end of the post)
- Also in May, we took part in Relay for Life — this was a very fun and rewarding event!! I loved being able to give my time and help fundraise for such an awesome cause!!
- BIG NEWS!!! In June I was officially offered a teaching position at the school I have been working at since January!! I will be teaching third grade!!
There it is — the amazing blessings of 2013 so far!! I cannot begin to describe the amount of gratitude and humility I feel to have been blessed so much. I am fully aware of how lucky I am to have been given these opportunities and am not taking any of it for granted.
So, I have had my “own” classroom for a week of summer school now — things have been really good!! I’ve really enjoyed getting to know the students and being in control of their learning environment – this is a very important task and I take it very seriously. I’m getting to try out all my procedures and ideas for next year — which is such an advantage and will definitely cut back on the amount of stress I may feel that first week of school.
I have been building my classroom library, and am quite proud of how the amount of books I have managed to collect (through generous friends, family, teachers, organizations, and deal hunting). I have also been making stuff and collecting other things for my classroom — I look forward to sharing some photos of my classroom once it is all set up. My summer school classroom is not actually my room, it’s another teacher’s room, so I am somewhat limited in what I can do in there (although she’s been awesome and very supportive of me using her room).
There is not much other news to share – except perhaps what is happening as I am typing this — we are having our roof replaced….so there is a team of workers on top of our house ripping our old roof off. I have put on some music to help drown out the sound of our house being pulled apart. I think this is not only helping put me at ease a little, but the dogs too. They have been VERY concerned with all the noises – and I do not blame them!! I am very excited for the job to be complete – our roof has had some issues, and just knowing that our roof is 100% new and improved, is going to be great. Also, our gutters have had issues for years, so we are having those replaced too — that in itself is super exciting! You know you’re getting older and more “grown up” when you’re excited about new gutters!!
Things I am looking forward to:
- This roofing job to be done!
- The rest of summer school
- Going to see Justin Timberlake & JayZ in August
- Two days later – seeing Goo Goo Dolls and Matchbox Twenty
- My first official teaching position starting
Hope you’re having an amazing summer (winter for those of you in the Southern Hemisphere)!!